Friday, August 22, 2008

First doctor's appointment

Today was my first appointment with the doctor. They confirmed the pregnancy and estimate a due date of April 13, 2009 -- though we won't know for sure until the first ultrasound. I also weighed 147 pounds (surprising!). I have a new doctor because my previous one left to take a job in New Orleans, but I feel comfortable with him. We talked about my miscarriage and that the chances of having a second one are slim. I was glad to hear it, but told him I wanted to wait as long as possible for the ultrasound because I didn't want to form another unnecessary attachment. The miscarriage earlier this year was the most painful experience of my life, so I'm a bit leery this time about getting my hopes up and my emotions too high.

Dr. Ives said everything looks good and that I'm healthy. I can continue everything I've been doing, except for drinking. I told him that other than having tender breasts and feeling totally exhausted all the time, I've been fine -- no cravings, no nausea. His nurse gave me some prenatal vitamin samples and a little expectant mother package, and I scheduled the ultrasound for Friday, September 19 at 8:30 a.m. Adam will go with me then, so we can see the baby together.

This week I started teaching at the University of South Alabama and Adam started his paramedic program, so our routines have changed quite a bit. I've been exhausted every day and trying to get to bed early. I also ran twice this week (5.2 miles) and rode my bike once.


This week Adam drew this picture for me. Cute, huh?

No comments: